Piracy had been picking up.
Sure, the whole Region was growing, but no one expected this. Colony ships, commercial liners, individuals from all walks of life…no one was exempt from the attacks.
Planetary forces patrol their local space, but the vast emptiness between systems was where the danger lay. And there was nobody out there to help. Or was there?
A discarded project of human engineering, Coy Lamont has no home, no friends…and now no job. With literally nothing to lose, it enters a high stakes game that changes the course of its life. Quite unexpectedly, Coy has the means to save not only itself, but the rest of the inhabitants of the Beta Region from the growing pirate threat. But Coy discovers its creators’ control did not stop when it left their lab. And to conquer the pirates, it must first conquer itself.
In this episode, Cath chats with Jim C. Hines about:
- Isaac’s journey in the Magic Ex Libris series, particularly the final book Revisionary
- Breaking genre rules and writing comedy
- The pros and perils of writing bad D&D and fan fiction (check out his self-published book Rise of the Spider Goddess, an MST3K-style treatment of annotations intended as a tool for aspiring writers)
- His early experiences in trying to master the fiction-writing craft
- His Hugo Award-winning blog/website, particularly how genre portrays women
- Opportunities in life provided by his work as an author
When Isaac Vainio helped to reveal magic to the world, he dreamed of a utopian future, a new millennium of magical prosperity. One year later, things aren’t going quite as he’d hoped. An organization known as Vanguard, made up of magical creatures and ex-Porters, wants open war with the mundane world. Isaac’s own government is incarcerating “potential supernatural enemies” in prisons and internment camps. And Isaac finds himself targeted by all sides.
It’s a war that will soon envelop the world, and the key to victory may lie with Isaac himself, as he struggles to incorporate everything he’s learned into a new, more powerful form of libriomancy. Surrounded by betrayal and political intrigue, Isaac and a ragtag group of allies must evade pursuit both magical and mundane, expose a conspiracy by some of the most powerful people in the world, and find a path to a better future.
But what will that future cost Isaac and the ones he loves?